information - field peas
Waratah is commerciallising field pea varieties developed by the University of Sydney, Plant Reseach NZ Ltd and the Pork CRC. The varieties are targeted at feed qualities suited to the Pork Industry. The field peas may also be suited to the human consumption market.
Following is a brief description of the first variety released under this program.
- resistant to powdery mildew
- resistant to pea seed borne mosaic virus
- tolerance to bean leaf roll virus
- specifically suited to short season planting in northern NSW and southern Queensland.
- large, spherical, white seed, also suited to the lucrative human consumption and splitting markets
- previously tested as PRL131
- subject to an end point royalty on all grain produced